Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy Halloween

So, yesterday morning I went to tutor third grade kids again at that private school. I got to help them with multiplying and dividing with more digits than they're previously used to. Some of them are pretty good at it, and others... aren't as good. But as far as I can tell, they're generally getting the hang of it. Good times.

On the way to the school, I talked to Mom. Like I usually do. It's a thirty minute walk each way, so I like to talk to her to keep me company. Only this time she had some bad news - one of my gerbils had died. Either the previous night, or that morning, she wasn't sure. Tears instantly sprung to my eyes, and I cried over her. I knew it'd be coming eventually - they can't live forever. They typically only live somewhere from three to five years. But still, that was a very sad moment. It was really hard when Mama (the mother gerbil) died, especially because I know that it was a painful death, though I'm sorry to say it. And now Amber is gone. We don't know why, either, because apparently she seemed perfectly fine before then. But Amber... she's just, Amber. The one we affectionately referred to as "the crazy one" or "the psycho one". She always had the most energy. And there was a period of time when she would climb up the wall of the cage partway, and then basically launch herself from there to the top level. And she'd jump around a lot, and climb all over the place... and I'll really miss her. And now Pepper is all alone. She's always been a little more mild-mannered. But there were times that they'd groom each other, play with each other, or just run around... and it was especially cute when they'd sleep together, all snuggled up next to each other. Amber, I'll miss you.

So... on that note, I'll move on to something a little more light-hearted. Let's see... well, I took my third Music 101 midterm on Tuesday. I didn't feel like I knew the material quite as well as I did last time, when I got a 92, so I expected... a high B? An A- if I was lucky? But I somehow managed a 95! Rock on! So, that was pretty exciting. Can't say I'm expecting the same thing to happen on my Book of Mormon test. I need to take that either tomorrow or Friday. And I don't feel prepared at all. *sigh* I guess we'll just see how that goes...

On to Wednesday. In Music 101 we've moved into the Romantic time period. I love it. :) Each time we move into a new time period, I just like the music even more, it's always getting better! The Romantic period is just... awesome. So expressive. Oh, and I also can't wait to get into the Modern era... so much dissonance! It's pretty sweet. Ah, I just love music.

And today was Halloween! I did wear Sarah's sweet cape for part of the night, but I didn't do anything big. There were all these little kids from somewhere (I don't remember where, though) that came through the dorms from around 5-7 tonight. And they were all so cute! Aww! Little babies, tiny kids, and just young children... it was great. So each room in our hall had the option of buying candy to give to these kids when they went Trick-or-Treating. If we were going to participate, we put up an orange piece of paper with a pumpkin on it on our door, and they'd knock on all the doors with those papers. So, I went and bought some candy from the Cannon Center and handed it out to the little tykes. It was great. And then Jeffrey and Debbie and some of their friends stopped by afterwards so we could see their costumes, and I gave them some of the remaining candy. Debbie made costumes for the two of them - from Candy Land (oh, good times), he was Mr. Mint and she was Princess Lolly. Good stuff. They were cute together.

No comments: