Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy 3.14

It's Pi Day!

Yesterday the BYU Math Department hosted some kind of "Pi Day" event in the Wilkinson Center, even though it was technically the day before Pi Day. But I figure they don't ever hold events like that on Saturdays or Sundays, so I got double the fun for having it on two days. There were pie eating contests, which looked like it would make me sick... pie-ing teachers in the face... but I wasn't really concerned about that. There was, however, a contest to see who could recite the most digits of pi. There were prizes for being able to recite a certain amount, plus whoever was the winner would win an iPod Shuffle.

Since Sarah and I know the same amount, I wasn't planning to bother participating, but I ended up giving in and signing up. It was scary though, let me tell you - you get up in front of all the people there, recite pi into a microphone, and if you mess up anywhere the people running the whole thing would blow this airhorn. Needless to say, I was a bit nervous. And by nervous, I mean I was shaking the whole time, and my mouth went completely dry. I also said it slower than I usually do (since normally I just speed through it and it's probably harder to understand), and when I'm actually having to think about what I'm saying, I tend to mess up more easily. I got to a certain point where I stumbled, but after some crowd support, they let me continue. After that point, I was a little thrown off, and didn't make it too much farther before I slipped up. I managed to get through 184 digits, which beat the previous 1st place (which, by the way, was at the time held by someone who "guaranteed he would win").

Not too long after that, Sarah went up, and I was pretty sure she'd beat me. Which she did. At the end of it all, we left knowing 240 digits of pi. And ever so graciously, Sarah is going to split the money with me that we get from selling the Shuffle, since we both know that we both know the same amount. :) I kind of expected us to get it, but thinking about it, I'm almost surprised that there's no one else in the school that would go to that, who doesn't know more digits than that. Not that 240 is anything to sneeze at, but there's a lot of nerds out there. And whoever says that memorizing pi is pointless or a waste of time, is obviously wrong. Not only did Sarah and I earn $5 from our manager at work once for it, but now we've got free T-shirts and stuff, along with a free iPod Shuffle. Yeah.

This morning was the Rex Lee Run. One of those "Race For The Cure" type things to raise money for cancer research. This is my second year participating. I have to admit, when we were first getting started and I saw some people around me with certificate things to honor someone who has battled with cancer, I got a bit emotional. It is one year ago to this day that Nana Jake passed. Now I just want to do what I can to help the cause, for others who are struggling.

1 comment:

TIFF said...

Good Job Ashley!! Also, what a great way to remember your Nana, she's probably so proud.